Re: tramp smashes my .bash_history file

From: Tim Connors
Subject: Re: tramp smashes my .bash_history file
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:16:03 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm using tramp 2.0.35 on XEmacs 21.5 beta 9.  Even though I see this code
> > in (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell):
> >
> >   (tramp-message
> >    9 "Waiting 30s for `HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1'")
> >   (tramp-send-command-internal multi-method method user host
> >                                "HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1")
> >
> > on one of the remote systems on which I edit files (a Solaris 8 system
> > running Bash 2.03.0(1)-release) I find no .tramp_history file, but see all
> > manner of tramp-related shell commands in ~/.bash_history.
>
> Fascinating.  Hm.  After connecting to the remote host, could you
> have a look in the *debug tramp/foo* buffer to see if Tramp indeed
> sent the commands correctly?
>
> Another useful thing to do is to C-x b to the *tramp/foo* buffer and
> then to use M-: (process-send-string nil "foo\n") RET for sending

I don't have a tramp/foo buffer (and can't seem to work out how to get
one), but have tramp debugging turned on, and
can see in *debug tramp/rsync... that you set (without exporting) HISTFILE
and HISTSIZE, before finding my local bash by doing:
while read d; do if test -x $d/bash -a -f $d/bash; then echo tramp_executable
$d/bash; break; fi; done <<'EOF'
and execing bash.
So what needs to be done is simply to export HISTFILE and HISTSIZE before
execing the bash shell. I haven't tested this yet...

> commands there.  This way, could you find out which values HISTFILE
> and HISTSIZE are set to?  Maybe they don't have the right values.
> And if you manually set them, does that help?  Do the variables
> perhaps need to be exported?

(1)

> Oh!  Tramp usually starts /bin/sh when connecting to the remote end.
> Maybe that shell groks $HISTFILE but not $HISTSIZE?

Reread the pargraph before my (1), and you answered yourself :)

> What happens when you manually connect there and issue "exec /bin/sh"
> and then try to frob $HISTFILE and $HISTSIZE?

Because I don't have a tramp/foo buffer, I can't test this, but perhaps
the OP can test it?

Keyboard Not Found: Press <F1> to Continue