Re: smb connection fails on passward var

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: smb connection fails on passward var
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:00:38 -0600

> Unfortunately, it needs the password twice because of two independant
> smbclient calls. It needs to get the avalaible shares (smbclient -L
> hgpxp -U reader) and then to connect the share for operation
> (smbclient //hgpxp/hgpxp-c -U reader). I could cache the password, of
> course, but I'm a little bit reluctant to do that.

Ok, I see the mechanics involved ... thanks

>> But then trying the same thing on a second machine:
>>
>>   /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/
>
> [...]
>
>> tramp: Fetching /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/ to tmp file
>> /tmp/tramp.2040FcX...
>> tramp-smb-handle-file-local-copy: Cannot make local copy of file
>> `/smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/'
>
> This message appears if the smbclient command "get" fails (similar to
> ftp "get"). I would need the following buffers for analysis:

    *tramp/smb bjpxp*
That buffer shows that a file named `\' cannot be found.
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile (File not found.) opening remote file \
smb: \>

So thats why the `get' fails I guess.

    *debug tramp/smb address@hidden
I don't see this buffer...

It turned out to be a share name mismatch.

/smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/  => fails
/smb:address@hidden:/BJPXP-C/  => works

Strangely,  the above syntax works fine on another machine:
   /smb:address@hidden:/hgpxp-c/
So I'm guessing its something on the machine bjpxp that is causing
lowercase to fail.  The machines are different versions of win XP
(home edition), not sure if that may matter.

But it seems now to be win XP related rather than tramp.