Re: local execution of commands on remote files

From: Tim Connors
Subject: Re: local execution of commands on remote files
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:19:24 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Adrian Lanz <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > My question: is there some tramp built-in functionality to "execute"
> > remote files on the local machine? After step 2 (tramp and dired have
> > brought up the remote directry listing) I would like to do something
> > like dired-do-shell-command (pressing "!"), which in this context
> > would mean: download the remote file to some (configurable) temporary
> > place on the local file system and then use the local application I
> > provide in the mini-buffer on that temporary file. What is sent back
> > to the remote system after the local command has been run would be
> > configurable. After latex'ing a remote file on the local machine, I
> > probably would like tramp to save the dvi file on the remote system;
> > after xpdf'ing a remote file on the local machine, nothing at all
> > would have to be sent back to the remote machine.

The suggestion here doesn't really make sense (to me). If you have a
remote latex file, and you want to operate on that, then either operate on
it remotely, or copy it locally, operate on it locally, and store the
source file and all intermediate and final results locally. (I can see one
case where the described action could be useful - where the local node is
faster than the remote node, and so you want to process locally. But this
still doesn't make sense - why invoke the remote node at *all*?)

The problem is how do you tell tramp what files are needed from the remote
machine in order to be able to operate on it locally? In the LaTeX example
you give - when I am writing, I typically have 5 separate files which are
`included'. How to tell tramp you have to copy them all over locally
before latex can possibly be run? There already on the remote system, why
not just run latex there?

> No, it isn't implemented (yet). But it is at least on my private TODO
> list. I even would like to have the opportunity to execute commands on
> the remote host, which is a little bit different to your scenario. By
> this, commands like find-grep-dired could be extended to work on
> remote hosts, too.

However, *this* kind of functionality would be very nice. The common
scenario is that I am editing source files remotely, and want them
compiled remotely. Press f4 to invoke make, and it is made. But
unfortunately, tramp doesn't yet have this functionality :)

If it can hook into the debugging mode or whatever, then doubly nice.

Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality -- it just
makes the manuals thicker.