Re: tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer doesn't work for XEmacs

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer doesn't work for XEmacs
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:14:09 +0100

tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file always uses tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer
(except it can perform the operation on the remote host directly). The
out of band copy commands are used for tramp-handle-file-local-copy
and alike.

Maybe there's a lack in implementation, Kai?

I have looked in in lisp/ChangeLog and found the following entry:

2002-07-20 Kai Gro?johann <address@hidden>

* tramp.el (tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer): New function.
(tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file): Use it. Change and simplify
logic. Omit special case of invoking rcp directly to copy the
files.

After this change the KEEP-DATE parameter stopped working.
I still use a copy of Tramp from April 2002, here KEEP-DATE works fine.
I pointed out the problem a year ago (2003-02-09 on emacs-pretest-bug)
and I think that resulted in the following:

2003-02-15 Kai Gro?johann <address@hidden>

* tramp.el (tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file-one-local): New
function. Not implemented. Not used. Should invoke rcp or scp
directly to keep the time.

I also see in lisp/tramp.el the very first entry on the TODO list:

;; * tramp-copy-keep-date-arg is not used!

I don't know why the change from 2002-07-20 was made (except what the
ChangeLog entry says), so I can't tell how the problem should be fixed.
But if the best is to stick with the "via buffer" thing, I guess
set_file_times could be implemented as a lisp primitive. But what about
XEmacs then?