Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:50:17 +0100

Peter Woo <address@hidden> writes:

> So, I would say translating the ":" to something else such as "!"
> would solve my problem.  However, not sure whether this is a
> preference for all platforms.  Perhaps a tramp variable for tweaking?

I do see your point. Solutions could be also to provide a Tramp
function a user could apply via customizing
`make-backup-file-name-function', or to implement
`find-backup-file-name'. First alternative has more charm to me.

Or convince Emacs maintainers to handle Tramp file names as
well. Currently they are doing the following (see files.el, function
`make-backup-file-name-1'):

;; Normalize DOSish file names: convert all slashes to
;; directory-sep-char, downcase the drive letter, if any,
;; and replace the leading "x:" with "/drive_x".