Re: tramp (2.0.39); executable mode not preserved on save with scp tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); executable mode not preserved on save with scp tramp-method
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:23:41 +0200

Ted Stern <address@hidden> writes:

> Enter your bug report in this message, including as much detail as you
> possibly can about the problem, what you did to cause it and what the
> local and remote machines are.
>
> If you can give a simple set of instructions to make this bug happen
> reliably, please include those.  Thank you for helping kill bugs in
> TRAMP.
>
> Another useful thing to do is to put (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) in
> the ~/.emacs file and to repeat the bug.  Then, include the contents
> of the *tramp/foo* buffer and the *debug tramp/foo* buffer in your bug
> report.
>
> --bug report follows this line--
>
> When I save a remote shell script that has executable perms turned on, the x
> bits are turned off.
>
> I'm using the scp method.
>
> Is there some option I'm neglecting to set? -- Ted

Hmm. I've just checked `tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file-out-of-band', it
seems to perform the right actions (look for
`tramp-copy-keep-date-arg'). And your settings look fine as well:

>  tramp-methods '(("smb") ("ftp")
>                  ("scp" (tramp-connection-function tramp-open-connection-rsh)
>                   (tramp-login-program "ssh") (tramp-copy-program "scp")
>                   (tramp-remote-sh "/bin/sh") (tramp-login-args ("-e" "none"))
>                   (tramp-copy-args nil) (tramp-copy-keep-date-arg "-p")
>                   (tramp-password-end-of-line nil))

[...]

Could you, please, perform the following test:

(copy-file "/localpath/localfile" "/scp:remotehost:/remotepath/remotefile" t t)

and see what happens with "remotefile"? The Tramp debug buffer might
be helpfull in order to trace commands.