Re: tramp (2.0.36); tramp-rsh-end-of-line needs to be changed in my conf

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.36); tramp-rsh-end-of-line needs to be changed in my configuration.
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:53:47 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> But still the tramp-rsh-end-of-line docs say that it shouldn't be
> changed normally, perhaps a remark that it might be necessary with plink
> would be nice. I don't know how often this is needed with plink, but if
> it's more or less common, you should perhaps add paragraph to your
> manual.

Indeed, you're right in that I didn't think that plink users need to
change it.  I thought that even for you guys, \n was a good value.

> At first it really didn't look that tramp-rsh-end-of-line was the source
> of the problem. I tried playing with the tramp-shell-prompt-pattern,
> because I thought that's why the prompt isn't recognized. Then I thought
> tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell inserted an adiditional \n
> somewhere, from there I dug into tramp-send-command-internal, where I
> finally found tramp-rsh-end-of-line.
>
> Long story short: It's not obvious to change tramp-rsh-end-of-line, so a
> remark somewhere (aside from the documentation of a variable I didn't
> even bother to look at in the beginning) would be nice.

Yes.  Can you say where you started looking?  Perhaps it was
tramp-shell-prompt-pattern?  If this is the case, then maybe I should
say that it would be good to look in the *tramp/foo* buffer (or is it
the *debug tramp/foo* buffer that you need to look at?) for doubled
prompts.  For that case, people are advised to look at
tramp-rsh-end-of-line.

Does that sounds like useful advice?

Kai