Re: Erratum: App Note: Installing Tramp on Fedora (and probably Red Hat)

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Erratum: App Note: Installing Tramp on Fedora (and probably Red Hat)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:31:24 -0600

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:54:24PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Charles Curley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Just a note on installing TRAMP on Fedora and (probably) Red Hat. You
> > should build with:
> >
> > # ./configure --with-contrib --prefix=/usr/share --infodir=/usr/share
> >                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > That last gets it installed correctly into the Info system.
>
> Thanx for the suggestion. Since I don't use Fedora by myself, just
> some questions:
>
> - The Lisp directory *.elc? files should go, is "/usr/share/lisp"? No
>   Emacs part in the path? No "site-lisp"?

They end up in "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp".

./configure expects a prefix, and assumes the directory structure
below the directory you give it. In this case it knows to put the .elc
files in "emacs/site-lisp" below the prefix.

The help for .configure hints at this. E.g:

  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]

They want you to provide the path to the directory which includes
"info", so you don't include "info" in the path you give it.

It's not obvious; it took me several tries to get it right (hence the
erratum :-) and I have some cleanup to do once locate has rebuilt its
database tonight.

> - Info files should go directly to "/usr/share"? I would expect
>   something like "/usr/share/info" at least.

Again, same thing. They end up in "/usr/share/info/tramp".