Why proxies?

From: Kirk Strauser
Subject: Why proxies?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:07:27 -0500

I've finally built a usable proxy setup that doesn't contain recursive
references, so I can use it pretty much as well as my old multi-hop setup.
However, I'm still not clear on why requiring pre-defined proxies is better
than allowing users to build an ad-hoc list when they need one.

For example, I use the sudo method a lot - in fact, pretty much every time
I'm editing files on a remote machine.  From what I can tell, rather than
just opening an old-style filename like:

  /multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:

I have to add a new proxy definition like:

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
  '("\\`remoteserver2307\\'" nil "/ssh:address@hidden:"))

then mess around with tramp-default-proxies-alist to get the new entry where
I want it (or just restart Emacs, which is often easier).  I may never
actually connect to that server again, especially if it's a friend's
machine that they've asked me to poke around on for troubleshooting, and
yet it requires the same work as setting up a machine that I'm going to be
accessing constantly.

I'm not saying that the new proxy setup is bad, but I just don't "get" it.
What's the killer app for the new system?

Despite all that, I still love Tramp.  Multi-hop connections are probably
the most useful administration tool I've ever used, and one of the reasons
I absolutely won't leave Emacs.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Day Companies