Re: tramp (2.0.55); (Very) brief summary of problem: Need to recompile c

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.55); (Very) brief summary of problem: Need to recompile certain .elc files for cl-struct-tramp-file-name-tags
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:29:34 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Customarily, I use `make recompile' and a plain `make' and so the
> changes did not work their way through.  For me, problems with
> out-of-date elc files seldom occur.  Moreover, this is the first time
> that I saw a symbol in the elc files that is not the el files.  (I did
> not know that was possible!)

cl.el provides macros, which are expanded during compilation, and
which use cl.el internal variables. In the files which haven't been
recompiled those variables were still referenced to.

> It may be too difficult to make the error messages more helpful; I
> don't know of anything else you can do.

One could extract all common declarations into a file
tramp-declare.el, which is required by all other *.el files. In the
Makefile, all *.el files shall depend on this file. This would
recompile those files once the declarations have been changed.

But I'm in favor to introduce this mechanism for Tramp 2.1 only. Tramp
2.0 is the stable version which shouldn't see such reorganization, and
the case where it would be useful (Tramp 2.0.56) has happened already.