Re: default-directory and file-name-all-completions

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Re: default-directory and file-name-all-completions
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:10:40 +0100

Dear Michael,

 > I can reproduce the problem here. The point is that the way you call
 > file-name-all-completions, it doesn't reach Tramp. Whether Tramp is
 > involved or not is decided by the DIRECTORY parameter of
 > file-name-all-completions. It shall be expanded before that check, but
 > it isn't - I would say it is an error in file-name-all-completions.

Ok -- is that worth me taking up with a bug report on emacs-devel?

 > However, you can solve it very simply. Apply
 >
 >   (file-name-all-completions "Splus" default-directory)
 >
 > This is equivalent to your call, and it does the right thing.

Unfortunately, although that fixes my test case, it doesn't fix the
real problem within ESS, since the call is something like:
  (file-name-all-completions "Splus" var)

and var iterates over the elements in $PATH (and hence the problem
occurs if "." is on the PATH.

Thanks, Stephen