Re: Prompt matching issue - Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''

From: Richard Hill
Subject: Re: Prompt matching issue - Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:26:20 +0000

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for your help and quick response.

Yours,

Richard.

Michael Albinus wrote:
Richard Hill <address@hidden> writes:

Hi All,

Hi,

When I attempt to open a remote file on a Redhat Linux box over ssl
(plink), the login hangs on:

apply: Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''

The final apostrophe appears to be causing the problem... removing
this last apostrophe and executing the resulting line in a shell then
seems to work fine (removing character echo etc).

Nope. It is just the message format which causes the double apostrophe,
it prints "Couldn't `%s'".

Below I have pasted the last of the output from the Emacs message
buffer. Thanks very much for the help,

Here you see the command sent by Tramp:

And the buffer contains:

stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U'
$ $

Your problem is the returning double dollar (meaning double prompts),
which is a problem known from Tramp 2.0 (bundled with Emacs 22). It is
not easy to fix, because it is due to a race condition.

Tramp 2.1, which will come with Emacs 23, has fixed it. So maybe you
install Tramp 2.1, or you give Emacs 23 a try (which starts its pretest
these days).

Richard