Don't send "exec" command on login

From: Rolando Pereira
Subject: Don't send "exec" command on login
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:28:43 +0000

Hello,

I need to connect to a server X that I can only connect after connecting to another server Y first.

As I understand from reading the documentation, I can do multi-hops using proxies. The problem is that the Y server has a weird shell that only accepts the following commands:
ssh, telnet, who, last, passwd, help, version, quit, exit, and logout

So when tramp trys to run tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell and send the string "exec env ENV='' PROMPT_COMMAND='' PS1='$ ' PS2='' PS3='' %s" it hangs.

If I try to change that string to "ssh X", it works, but since the shell at Y can't add the server key to the known_hosts file, I have to type and addicional "yes" (because of the "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?") plus send the password again.

I tried to place two tramp-send-command at tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell, one for "ssh X" and another for "yes", but that doesn't seem to work (it only runs the "ssh X" and it seems that it doesn't run the second command).

Is there any way to connect to the server X? I think that since multi-hops uses the tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell they are not the answer in this case. Am I wrong?