Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); Needless remote access?

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); Needless remote access?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:08:50 -0400

On Apr 16, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

I also have been unable to force the problem to be reproduced so far.

No idea about. For further analysis from Tramp pov, I would need a
scenario to reproduce it ...

I think this might explain it:

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); Needless remote access? Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:10:22 +0200
2009/4/16 David Abrahams <address@hidden>:
> I'm not sure how this could have happened, but I just found TRAMP
> initiating remote acesses when I was staging/un-staging files in magit
> on a *local* git repository.  I did (setq default-directory "~") in the
> magit buffer to try to stop it, to no avail.

I can reproduce it by typing "g" (magit-refresh) in magit status
buffer. I think the function "magit-revert-buffers" (run from
"magit-refresh-wrapper") is responsible for the bug: it scans all
buffers (including tramp ones) and does file operation on them
("verify-visited-file-modtime" function). This wakes up tramp
connections and is generally slow.

One obvious workaround is to ignore remote buffers using
"buffer-remote-p". But I bet there's a smarter solution...

m.

--- End Message ---

--
David Abrahams