Re: tramp (2.1.15); Unclear doc for rsync method

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.15); Unclear doc for rsync method
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:21:14 +0200

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I wonder if this is worth the effort or not.  This would only help
>> people who use Tramp to edit large remote files on a routinely
>> basis.  Tramp is somewhat optimized for the small-files case (by its
>> inline transfer methods, which are required for multiple hops
>> (unless Michael changed this)).
>
> I don't know either.  It looks like there's a lot of room for
> clarification in the docs about what the rsync method means for users.

I've adapted the doc a little bit, see in Tramp CVS.

Implementation of a local file cache is still postponed; it would help
only for large files, which might result in disk space problems etc.

When GNU Emacs 23 is released, I will ask on emacs-devel, whether it is
possible to add a file name handler for recursive copying (in XEmacs, it
exists). This should boost rsync based copying.