Re: Tramp-IMAP works and needs testing

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Tramp-IMAP works and needs testing
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:13:57 -0500

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:33:11 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
MA> Furthermore, I've changed the following:

MA> - Change the copyright owner to FSF. I hope you are OK with this;
MA>   otherwise we have no chance to add your package to Tramp and Emacs.

MA> - Make `tramp-imap-method' and `tramp-imaps-method' a defconst. I know
MA>   that in some other tramp-*.el files the methods are also defcustom's,
MA>   but I don't believe it is necessary (and I shall change it everywhere).

MA> - Change implementation of `tramp-imap-handle-file-readable-p ' and
MA>   `tramp-imap-handle-file-writable-p'.

MA> After all, it is working already pretty fine. I believe we shall add it
MA> to Tramp's CVS repository, and likely we shall add it also to the
MA> upcoming Tramp 2.1.17 release (maybe marked as experimental).

Thanks for all your help.  I am working on a storage layer
(imap-hash.el) that will let me treat a mailbox as a hash table, making
retrieval and storage much easier.  That way I can make tramp-imap.el
correspondingly simpler.

I will incorporate all your changes as well; my changes are at the
storage layer and don't interfere with the Tramp functionality.  I am
working hard on this so I expect imap-hash.el to be ready soon.
Afterwards I can merge your changes and overhaul the tramp-imap.el code.
Can you hold on before adding the old tramp-imap.el to Tramp?  I don't
want my bad code harming other programmers' minds ;)  I think I can
make the 2.1.17 release; I'll follow up with a progress report in a week
if I'm not done by then.

imap-hash.el is relevant to the Gnus project as well.  I plan to use it
to store things like the Gnus registry and maybe the Gnus newsrc file,
essentially providing a distributed hashtable in an IMAP mailbox.  This
was another motive for developing a separate storage layer.

Thanks
Ted