Re: Passwords, stored in Gnome Keyring and KWallet

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Passwords, stored in Gnome Keyring and KWallet
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:41:29 -0600

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:47:01 +0100 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> the GNOME Keyring and KDE Wallet developers have agreed a common API,
MA> called Secret Services, to access their password repositories. This API
MA> is D-Bus based, see
MA> <http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/secret-storage-spec>.

MA> I have written a small package, secrets.el, which uses this API to read
MA> and write passwords. It is tested with GNOME Keyring 2.29.90; a public
MA> KWallet implementation is not available yet. I intend to use it in
MA> Tramp; it will also be proposed to be added to GNU Emacs after the 23.2
MA> release. It might also be applicable in XEmacs, once D-Bus support has
MA> been added there.

MA> However, it might be useful to apply this package somewhere else as
MA> well. One idea is to integrate it into auth-sources.el, as configurable
MA> alternative to the ~/authinfo.gpg password store.

That's a great idea.  auth-sources right now only has strings to
represent a source (implying a netrc-style file), but it's easy to
augment it to support something like 'secret-services or a more
complicated structure, e.g. '(secret-services parameter1 parameter2)

The only things we have to agree is how to pick an entry
(auth-source-pick, but this is probably OK as is) and how to get the
data out (auth-source-user-or-password, anything like
netrc-machine-user-or-password will work).

Sadly I don't see secrets.el in the Tramp repo currently.  Is it
available?

Perhaps it's better to name it sec-serv.el or something similarly more
descriptive?  It doesn't matter that much to me.

Ted