Re: SCPC Detection Program

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: SCPC Detection Program
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:36:42 -0400

Hi Michael,

I checked with my version of ssh, and we would indeed be able to
detect this from its help version string. However, it seems like this
could have similar fragility issues as the version number idea, if the
help string changed format some time. You could solve this by only
trying scpc on help strings that are known to be good, but you could
also have a version number whitelist that would serve the same
purpose. It seems like both of these would work and would be quite
similar - is there a reason to think that one would be better than the
other?

As for the test connection, maybe a change would help. It's probably
not good to try connecting to a known-good host, but what about trying
it with the host that Tramp needs to connect to anyway? You could try
it first with the -ControlMaster option, and if ssh gave an error,
then try again without it and fall back on the other method. This
wouldn't create more ssh connections than necessary. The problem I see
is that it might require a more substantial change to the Tramp
codebase than the other methods, but I don't know, because I haven't
looked around enough to see. Do you think this method would be useful
enough to make it worth looking through the Tramp code more and maybe
making bigger changes?

Noah