Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compre

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compressing
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 12:51:25 +0200

Toru TSUNEYOSHI <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Michael san.

Hi Toru san,

> Now, the following popped into my mind...
> Strictly speaking, `float' should be added as type of variable about
> file size (if larger than `most-positive-fixnum'). However, in the case
> of inline transfer, `float' may is nonsense.

`most-positive-fixnum' is 2.305.843.009.213.693.951 in my Emacs
instance:

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-05-01 on detlef

I doubt, that it makes sense to apply file operations on larger files
from inside Emacs :-)

> And I tried to regulate the value of `tramp-copy-size-limit'.
> As a result, the appropriate value is from 300k to 400k, except for
> compressed files.
> (I think that current default value of `tramp-copy-size-limit' is proper
> in case of inline transfer without compressing, so there are no needs to
> change the value.)

It depends on several points. Do you transfer text files or binary
files, do you apply compressing or not, do you use "scp" or "scpc" as
external method, do you have a rather fast or a rather slow connection,
does your machine is fast in compressing, ...

Maybe it is worth to add a "Tuning" section to the Tramp manual. Are you
interested in to contribute?