Re: default remote shell in tramp

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: default remote shell in tramp
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:16:34 +0200

    Terrence> but it doesnt matter on the Linux system I'm using
    Terrence> because "sh" is symlinked to "bash"

This may not be relevant to your problem :-

man bash :

 If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup
 behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as possible, while
 conforming to the POSIX standard as well.  When invoked as an
 interactive login shell,
AND

 Bash attempts to determine when it is being run with its standard
 input connected to a a network connection, as if by the remote shell
 daemon, usually rshd, or the secure shell daemon sshd.  If bash
 determines it is being run in this fashion, it reads and executes
 commands from ~/.bashrc and ~/.bashrc, if these files exist and are
 readable.  It will not do this if invoked as sh.  The --norc option

Not sure how tramp invokes it (login or not) so I don't know whether
this is related to your problem (reading .bashrc).

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/