Re: default remote shell in tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: default remote shell in tramp
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:29:03 +0200

Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, so I'm going through the process of removing all PS1 definitions
> in all servers I'll connect to.

It would be sufficient to disable them conditionally. Like this:

  if [ $TERM != "dumb" ]; then
      PS1='...'
  fi

> If you use the --norc and --noprofile option, would you then have to
> do --rcfile ~/.bashrc in order to get PATH (assuming no PS1 are
> defined there)?

There is the variable `tramp-sh-extra-args', which has the value

  (("/bash\\'" . "-norc -noprofile"))

This could be tweaked by removing the "-norc" argument, or replacing it
with a "-rcfile ..." string.

And you will need to add `tramp-own-remote-path' to `tramp-remote-path':

  (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

Let's do it step by step, once you have prepared your first server.