Re: relative remote path fails on 3rd evaluation

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: relative remote path fails on 3rd evaluation
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:59:10 +0200

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> Evaluating this expression works as expected the first two times:
>
> (let ((default-directory "/address@hidden:bench/"))
>   (shell-command "ls" "*shell output*"))
>
> In this case it happens to result in this output:
>
> Papilio  aslink
>
> However, on the third time I get
>
> sh: cd: bench/: No such file or directory
> Papilio  aslink
>
> The remote directory ~/bench exists. What seems to be happening is that
> tramp has attempted to cd into ~/bench/bench, which does not exist. This
> is presumably because tramp has cached some connection information,
> although I am a bit surprised that this kicks in on the third evaluation
> and not the second. Calling `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' resets
> things so that the first two evaluations work again and the third
> generates the error message.
>
> I can get round this by using absolute remote paths, but I feel that
> this should not be happening with relative paths?

The following patch shall fix it:

*** /home/albinus/src/tramp/lisp/tramp.el.~2.812.~      2010-08-10
10:04:39.000000000 +0200
--- /home/albinus/src/tramp/lisp/tramp.el       2010-08-17 06:29:52.824765570
+0200
***************
*** 4646,4652 ****
                       v (format "\\cd %s; %s"
                                 (tramp-shell-quote-argument localname)
                                 command)
!                    nil t))
            ;; We should show the output anyway.
            (when outbuf
              (with-current-buffer outbuf
--- 4646,4652 ----
                       v (format "\\cd %s; %s"
                                 (tramp-shell-quote-argument localname)
                                 command)
!                    t t))
            ;; We should show the output anyway.
            (when outbuf
              (with-current-buffer outbuf

I've committed it to the repositories. Tramp 2.1.19, including this
patch, will be released next days, and it will be synched with the
Emacs-23 branch.

> Dan

Thanks for the report, and best regards, Michael.