Re: Strange prompt in tramp remote shell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Strange prompt in tramp remote shell
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:51:19 +0100

"Christian Millour (AB TELA)" <address@hidden> writes:

> I would be interested in contributing further to tramp, and I have

That's a good idea!

> tried to get the latest version from
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=tramp but it seems I cannot run
> it. If I put the checked out directory first in the load-path, I get
> the following error :
> File error: Cannot open load file, tramp-loaddefs
> does that mean I have to recompile emacs from scratch ? If yes I'm out
> of luck since my main workhorse these days is a Win7 machine and I
> intend to be kept blissfully unaware of the intricacies of compiling
> emacs on windows (I use the ntemacs binary distributed at
> aahttp://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/).

tramp-loaddefs.el is generated by Tramp itself. If you call

# autoconf; ./configure

you shall have an initial version of that file. When one of the autoload
cookies in tramp*.el is changed, this file must be regenerated. This is
done automatically by make.

Btw, the recent Emacs 23.2 for Windows, including binaries, is available
at <http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/>. Pretest of Emacs 23.3
starts next weekend, it will be released end of this / beginning of next
year.

If you are courageous, you could also try a snapshot of Emacs 24.0.50,
published regularly at <http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/>.