Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:38:19 +0100

On 20/10/2011 11:57, Michael Albinus wrote:
How do I do that? What do I need in the proxies list?

`tramp-default-proxies-alist' allows Lisp forms for all three items of
an entry. For the proxy item, you could do something like

(defun my-tramp-ad-hoc-proxy ()
   "Ask interactively for a proxy host."
   (read-file-name "Proxy host: "))

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("remote-host-exp" "remote-user-exp" (my-tramp-ad-hoc-proxy)))

Now you could open "C-x C-f /sudo:address@hidden". It will ask for the
proxy host, where you enter "/ssh:address@hidden:". After providing
the passwords, you are in.

I've seen this suggestion before and it's horrible.

I *really* want to be able to do this in one path, with no interactive bits, so ido-mode can do it's usual greatness.

(There seems to be an error in Tramp, 'cause it asks twice for the
proxy. Just apply RET for the second prompt. Will check and fix).

This isn't going to make it any better ;-)

This sounds a little bit complex, but it isn't, because you can use
minibuffer's history for all the file names.

It's *way* more complicated than the old /multi method, can that not be brought back? Why was it removed in the first place?

Maybe I shall add support in Tramp for this ad-hoc configuration. At
least it shall be documented.

Yes please, but proper ad-hoc, allowing specification of the transit user, remote host and remote user all in one path. If there's anything I can do to make that happen more quickly, please let me know...

- is
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/ChangeLog?root=tramp&view=markup
the correct change log to be looking at? I hope not, since it doesn't
mention either proxies arriving or multi: going away...

For the Lisp code, you shall use
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/lisp/ChangeLog?root=tramp&view=markup

Okay, what's the other ChangeLog?

cheers,