Re: ange-ftp-get-files is not updating his cache

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ange-ftp-get-files is not updating his cache
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:05:59 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

>> I've committed a patch to Emacs' trunk. Finally, it was just one place I
>> had to adjust the cache, the copy case. Removing a file shall work
>> already w/o cache problems.
>>
>> Could you, please, test?
> Yes it is working,

Good.

> however I think it is also a workaround, what when the ftp directory
> is modified from someone with another Emacs or some external program?
> The hash table will not be updated and the command
> `ange-ftp-reread-dir' doesn't help because it is broken (It is not
> aware of user, password etc...).  I think it is non sense to cache the
> ls result in a hash-table, of course it is faster, but the contents of
> a directory (ftp or not) is meant to be always changed.  Imagine how
> unuseful would be an implementation of `directory-files' with caching
> result in a hash-table and refering to this table at each further
> calls...

I haven't added caches to ange-ftp, but I believe they have their
reason. On slow lines, they could make the life easier.

Stale caches bite, of course. But how often does this happen? IIRC, an
ftp connection times out, after 15' or so. And if the connection is
reestablished due to a new request from Emacs side, the whole cache
shall be cleaned, of course. I haven't checked, but I would expect this.

So I won't do anything else. If you believe there are more bugs in
ange-ftp.el (you've mentioned `ange-ftp-reread-dir', for example),
please file a bug report for Emacs.