Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); Persistent attempts to "go remote"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); Persistent attempts to "go remote"
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 09:03:01 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dave,

> Despite having done tramp-cleanup-all-connections and
> tramp-cleanup-all-buffers, my use of `M-x shell-command ... &' with
> something that invokes emacsclient is causing TRAMP to try to reconnect.
> I'm not sure of the reasons; the stack trace seems to indicate that EDE
> may be involved.  I'll try to leave this Emacs process around so we can
> debug it...

You are right, it seems to be a bad interaction with EDE. The crucial
point is this:

>   file-truename("/scpc:io.local:/private/tmp/emacs-mac-mrNX/")
>
> ede-directory-get-toplevel-open-project("/var/folders/b2/w0_x7_854hz82sbrdxqqd6gr0000gn/T/")

Reading `ede-directory-get-toplevel-open-project', there are two calls
of `file-truename'. It is not obvious to me, why a remote directory is
used as argument for one of the calls. Maybe you could debug
`ede-directory-get-toplevel-open-project'?

One wild guess: the remote directory looks like a remote temp
directory. Tramp changes temporarily the value of
`temporary-file-directory'. Since the EDE actions are invoked by a
timer, it could happen that they are applied at time when Tramp has
overwritten that variable.

Another guess: Tramp might have changed temporarily `default-directory'
to that remote directory during execution of your asynchronous shell
command. And EDE uses that value, becauses it jumps in by the timer.