Re: Tramp and NTEmacs - [No Match] on file completion

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and NTEmacs - [No Match] on file completion
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:57:19 +0100

[Cc address@hidden, for the archives]

Andy Sheen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andy,

> Any idea where I could look to debug this myself? I do code (but not in
> Lisp) so could take a look if you could point me at where the minibuffer
> expansion code lives in tramp. Judging by the second trace, it looks
> like the expansion is happening, just not being put into the buffer.

Expansion for method, user, host lives in tramp-competion-*
functions. The code is hairy, because Tramp syntax is ambiguous. If you
enter "/ssh <TAB>", you don't know whether "ssh" is a method, a user, or
a host.

Additionally, on MS-Windows you have drive letters in file names, which
must be filtered out.

And the next level of complexity is Emacs' completion code, which has
changed seriously in Emacs 24, compared with Emacs 23. Maybe the culprit
is in that interaction.

Expansion for the local file name part is handled mainly in
tramp-sh-handle-file-name-all-completions. Here we have also some coding
traps; for example completion is deferred if there is not an established
connection to the given host yet.

> Andy

Have fun! Best regards, Michael.