Re: question about `tramp-file-name-handler'

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: question about `tramp-file-name-handler'
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:44:35 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Thierry,

> I have now an error because with this last change, nil is returned
> instead of the <process> by the next call of `start-file-process'.

Returning nil is the expected behaviour. Simply because no process has
been started.

> I think that what should be returned is the new process but delayed in a
> timer or something similar.

`start-file-process' has not such a semantic that the process shall be
delayed. If a process is respawned too early in a given time frame, it
simply ceases to work.

> Also, it seem it is hardcoded to 5s to throw or not `suppress', is there
> a particular reason for 5s? or maybe you found by experience two
> processes that run quickly under this delay fails?

5 sec is hard-coded, indeed. As I said earlier, this mechanism was not
introduced for process starts. Instead, it is a defense mechanism when
Tramp plays yo-yo. See the discussion in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/7848/focus=7869>.

Maybe we shall give it a defcustom, and maybe we shall allow this to be
nil. Then you could set it to your convenience.