Re: tramp (2.1.20); learn how to work with Android 2.2 via DroidSSHd

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.20); learn how to work with Android 2.2 via DroidSSHd
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:00:33 +0100

>> Hello!

Hi Ivan,

>> I'm reporting a possible enhancement in TRAMP, so that no error
>> happens when we try to connect to Android, and so that TRAMP can work
>> with Android over SSH.
>>
>> Now it breaks when it tries to call "env". It could detect this kind
>> of system on the remote end, and work around the missing commands.
>>
>> More details about my case are published here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/emacs/+bug/1041474
>>
>> Or a special method for Android over SSH could be devised, perhaps
>> based on https://github.com/juergenhoetzel/tramp-adb , because I
>> suppose the restrictions of the set of available commands are similar
>> -- whether we connect via adb or ssh.
>
> Sounds like a good idea. It could be even just an enhancement to the
> plain "ssh" method and friends. It could detect, whether on the remote
> side a restricted shell is running, which does not understand all
> commands (Tramp does it already for remote busyboxes).

I found some time for playing with this. Finally, I could make it work
on my Nexus S, running Android 4.1.2. On the device I've installed
SSHDroid 1.9.6. Works fine, as far as I can see.

I did need to tweak some Tramp settings, that's why it works only with
recent Tramp 2.2.7-pre from Tramp's git repository. There are also some
setup hints in tramp.texi. In case you want to play with ...