Re: tramp-dropbox

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-dropbox
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:01:28 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> MA> The interesting decisions are around synchronization: Should all saved
> MA> files be pushed to the server immediately? Should the server be checked
> MA> for file changes before a local copy is opened? Do we need local backup
> MA> files, or are the revision on the dropbox server sufficient? Shall we
> MA> make it configurable, which files to be synced (for example, exclude
> MA> local backup files)? Shall we support access to file revisions, via a
> MA> new package vc-dropbox? And so on ...
>
> Is this intended to replace or supplement that native Dropbox daemon
> (available for many platforms)?

Replacement, if possible. But supplement only might be OK either. Don't
know, what can be reached with reasonable effort.

The idea is to have it integrated into Emacs, that you can perform file
operations on the files in the dropbox *repository*, instead of the
local sync dir. Target would be to access file revisions as convenient
as for other VCS'es, including the basic operations like (e)diff etc pp.

(And there are of course GDrive, Ubuntu One, you name it ...)

Very long-term goal might be another set of file name handlers (likely
outside Tramp), which show file revisions like ordinary files, in a
given syntax. Plus the usual file operations. This is inspired by the
filesystem ClearCase uses.