Re: tramp (2.2.9-pre); TRAMP that ships with Emacs 24.3 is S-L-O-W

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.9-pre); TRAMP that ships with Emacs 24.3 is S-L-O-W
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:41:40 +0100

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dave,

> Conversely, what you have in the latest development version is about
> twice as fast.  See the two enclosed profiles.  Maybe this doesn't come
> as a surprise to you, but it surprised me.  After starting a fresh Emacs
> installation, I was about ready to give up on TRAMP until I saw the
> difference.  Anyway, nice going on the speedup!

Maybe there were some optimizations in the recent Tramp, but I'm not
aware of :-)

We see in the profiles, that in the slow case remote operations are
called twice as much as compared with the fast case. This indicates some
caching algorithm in place.

However, caches will improve speed only in case they are filled. So it
might be interesting to know, whether there is still the same difference
when you start Emacs with the "-Q" option in both cases. This starts
Tramp with an empty cache.