Re: Using a 'bastion' - issue when providing password

From: SENESI Stéphane
Subject: Re: Using a 'bastion' - issue when providing password
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 14:35:29 +0200 (CEST)

SO,

De: "Kai Großjohann" <address@hidden>
À: "SENESI Stéphane" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Michael Albinus" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Envoyé: Mercredi 8 Octobre 2014 12:54:20

That's interesting. In the telnet case, the authentication fails: it asks you for a password. So it could be related to agent forwarding.

Hm. Telnet case? From a telnet buffer inside Emacs? That sounds weird: did you telnet to localhost?

yes

Then you'd lose all your environment, including the connection to the ssh agent.

should I 'eval $(ssh-agent)'  or something similar ?

What happens when you do it from a shell buffer (M-x shell)?

The same

But actually, that's not the comparison I was looking for. Suppose you have

HostName rt
    ProxyCommand ssh -vvv bel address@hidden

and you are saying that "ssh rt" hangs but "ssh -vvv bel address@hidden" works. Then I was thinking perhaps it's possible to compare the output of "ssh rt" with the output of "ssh -vvv bel address@hidden". (Both of them invoked outside of Emacs.)

I did that. See attachments (filenames are self-explanatory) . The main diff is at line 122 : the working case (not using 'rt') has an additional line :
    debug2: channel 0: request pty-req confirm 1

I tried adding '-t' to the ProxyCommand : the only change is that I get a message :
    Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

Following Michael's advice, I tried adding two '-t' to the ProxyCommad. W.r.t. the working case, it adds
    line 116 : debug2: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
                     debug2: fd 5 setting O_NONBLOCK
    line 130 : debug1: tty_make_modes: no fd or tio
but it hangs before requesting the password

S.

And perhaps that works to figure out how to make "ssh rt" work from outside Emacs. And once that works, perhaps it also works via Tramp.

Kai