Tramp and version control on git repositories: what happens behind the s

From: SENESI Stéphane
Subject: Tramp and version control on git repositories: what happens behind the scene ?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:28:13 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

When using tramp on a remote host, I experiment a long response time (~ 40 s) when loading a file for editing when this happens in a git-version-controled directory with numerous and large files (including large binary files). The tramp debug buffer shows that this is due to the exection time of this command :
    git diff-index -p --raw -z HEAD -- README </dev/null 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?
which is actually slow on this host . (README is the name of the file I want to edit)

I was not able to find any hint in the Tramp info nor in the Magit info regarding the following question : what is the rationale for this command, because :
    - according to its man entry, git diff-index is not supposed to exit with any interpretable value, and
    - the command do not output anything before 'tramp_exit_status 0' (according to the content of my tramp debug buffer)

Further, I was not able to identify, in the magit package sources, any relevant invokation of 'git diff-index'

Thanks to tell me where I could dig for further info.

--
----- Météo-France -----
SENESI STEPHANE