Re: `tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification' interference

From: Live System User
Subject: Re: `tramp-theme-mode-line-buffer-identification' interference
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:49:40 -0400

Hi Michael,

> Live System User <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>
> Hi,
>
>> 0. Create a .emacs file with only the following:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/themes")
>>
>> (setq custom-theme-directory "~/.emacs.d/themes/")
>>
>> (if (boundp 'custom-theme-load-path)
>>     (add-to-list 'custom-theme-load-path (file-name-as-directory
>>                                    (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/themes"))))
>>
>> (setq custom-file  ; Use a separate customize file so as to not clutter
>> .emacs
>>       (concat "~/.emacs.d/custom-theme-test"
>>               (int-to-string emacs-major-version)))
>>
>> (load-theme 'tramp t nil) ; tramp-theme has an eval, so load before
>> custom-file.
>>
>> (load custom-file 'noerror)
>
> I believe this is too complicate.

    This is really not that much different from the contents
    of "tramp-theme-autoloads.el" -- the only difference being
    setting up a separate location for the `custom-variables'
    from not being placed, by default, in the ".emacs" file.

>                                   All you need in .emacs is
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path  "~/src/elpa/packages/tramp-theme")
> (load "tramp-theme-autoloads" 'noerror)
> (load-theme 'tramp 'no-confirm)

    I put only this in my ".emacs", as you instructed.

    This works, but only if this is the only tramp-theme.el related
    thing that is in your .emacs file, which it is, initially.

    The problem arises when you have the `custom-variables' that
    tramp-theme.el creates automatically in your .emacs file
    (or a separate custom-file, if you configure the "custom-file"
    variable).

    This is what tramp-theme.el automatically created:

    After this is evaluated when you start Emacs again, you can no
    longer see the value of `mode-line-buffer-identification' which
    should be the buffer's name.

    Remember, in order to see this problem, you have to subsequently
    start up a new Emacs so that it evaluates those custom-variables,
    i.e. NOT in an "emacs -Q" session.

    You should then see what I reported in:

       http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2016-07/msg00002.html

    Thanks.