Re: doas method default user should be user-login-name

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: doas method default user should be user-login-name
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 10:28:00 +0200

Sunil Nimmagadda <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Sunil,

> doas(1) on the commandline while prompting for password displays
> address@hidden, for example...
>
> ~$ doas ls
> doas (address@hidden) password:
>
> but tramp's doas method default username is set to "root" and the text
> displayed while prompting for password is...
>
> Password for /doas:address@hidden:
>
> which confused me. doas(1) expects the user's password. The following
> diff sets doas method's default user to user-login-name instead of
> "root".
>
> I was wondering if this a good approach to fix the prompt, thanks.

If you change the default user name like this, "/doas::" would work as
yourself, with user-login-name. This doesn't make sense. "root" seems to
be the better default.

I acknowledge that the prompt might be a little bit confusing. Tramp
shows always a prompt indicating which user will be used after
switching. But as experienced user of doas, you know that you shall
always give your own password, like for su and sudo.