Re: Faster start-file-process?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Faster start-file-process?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 10:09:03 +0100

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Philippe,

> I managed to speed up start-file-process for SSH by a factor of 500
> (on my machine) by enabling SSH control mode in ~/.ssh/config and then
> just calling
> (start-process name buffer "ssh" program args).
> Such a speedup is crucial for using start-file-process for truly
> asynchronous operations that may not block, e.g., Flymake backends.
> Are there any downsides to my approach? Would if be possible to
> include it in Tramp itself?

Per default, Tramp uses ssh ControlMaster if possible. What are the
values of `tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options' and
`tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options' in your case, after connecting to a
remote host?

Could you set `tramp-verbose' to 6 and verify, whether these options are
used? You could send the traces to me for analyzing, if you prefer.