Re: Tramp hangs

From: Ryan Chipman
Subject: Re: Tramp hangs
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 13:54:08 -0400

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 04:07 AM Michael Albinus wrote:

Well, the log file tells us, that there is *no* response from the ssh command at all. And if I call it in my terminal, the same happens: no
response from the ssh command, until I the timeout:

For this particular host, you won't be able to connect unless you're on a particular VPN, which would explain the timeout you're seeing.

Well, this is AWS. I don't use it myself, but IIRC, you need a special environment. For example, you must set the AWS_PROFILE environment variable, and possibly you need another private ssh key. Have you set
this in your Emacs?

There's no special private key in this case; the public key from my main ssh keypair is in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the host in question.

What happens, if you open a shell inside Emacs with "M-x shell", and
call the ssh command there?

I can ssh in without any issue from "M-x shell", both via "ssh user@host" and the specific command run by TRAMP.

I am having this issue with non-AWS hosts that aren't behind a vpn as well. To remove the VPN/AWS confounding variables, I've repeated my previous steps with a different host, and attached the log to this email. Hopefully this one is more helpful!

Best, Ryan