Re: sshx protocol from MS Windows occasionally cuts off results in M-x r

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: sshx protocol from MS Windows occasionally cuts off results in M-x rgrep
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 11:20:36 -0700

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 9:24 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Oh, rgrep is as good as something else to test. After you ran it for the
> first time, you can place the cursor in the *grep* buffer, and type
> again and again 'g' (revert-buffer). This re-invokes the async
> process. I have tested it it this way, w/o pain.

rgrep is pretty easy to test this with, although if this is really a
Win32-OpenSSH bug, it'll be helpful to have a test case that doesn't
require someone to install Emacs or check out the Tramp repository. :)

> > However, I *don't* see this issue when I run `M-x shell-command RET
> > python3 test.py RET'. I always see the full output.
>
> This doesn't count. shell-command runs a synchronous process, which is a
> completely different story. In order to test it asynchronously, you
> must call async-shell-command.

Ah ha. Using `async-shell-command' (or appending an "&" to my command)
does show the bug again. That's at least helped me narrow things down
a bit further, to where Tramp gets involved. I'm sure you've gotten
well past this point already, but I'm hoping that if I can narrow this
down enough, I can make a Python script that reproduces the issue
(assuming it's a Win32-OpenSSH bug). Then I should have something
simple enough that I can tell Microsoft about it. Hopefully with more
information, we can work around the problem in Emacs/Tramp too.

- Jim