Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file wit

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file with the plinkx method
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:23:03 +0200

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Dieter,

> On my working Laptop I wanted to get first ssh from MSYS2 running, so I
> haven't ssh from MS in the path at the moment.  Unfortunately (MSYS2)
> ssh isn't working with Tramp (in an MSYS2 terminal ssh works,
> though). It says for emacs-28 -Q:
>
> Tramp: Opening connection nil for dieter@wawa using ssh...failed
> Tramp: Opening connection nil for dieter@wawa using ssh...
> Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
>
> And an *tramp/ssh...* buffer appears BUT this buffer is not permanent
> and disappears as soon as I type something or use the mouse!
>
> I made a screenshot and it says:
>
> Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
> ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
> Permission denied, please try again.
>
> I think ssh-askpass is not available for MSYS2, neither from the
> ezwinports.  Or could Tramp use pinentry from gpg as a fallback?

I've seen the same error with the MSYS32 ssh. Haven't investigated
further, because MS Windows ssh works.

>> C:\Users\albinus>ssh -V
>> OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2
>> which might be the latest version offered by Microsoft, IIRC.
>
> I've got a Workstation in my office (7.7p1 for our most recent Win10),
> there I could test sshx and scpx if the version 7.7 is good enough.  Are
> these methods already available for the emacs-28 branch or do I need
> master?

I've started my tests with ssh 7.9 back in last summer. But IIRC, Jim
Porter got it working with ssh 7.7.

The most recent Tramp is merged in both Emacs 28 and 29. For now, there
is no need yet to care.