Regression in tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy

From: Kristofer
Subject: Regression in tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:42:04 +0200

Hello!

I have a bit special use case of TRAMP, I use it to interact with Unix System Service (USS) on a IBM Mainframe for my work.

USS is Unix userland running the sh she'll, running on IBM Z Mainframes.

TRAMP makes my life a lot better when working from Emacs in my day job. Thought not everything works with TRAMP as the USS is not full blown Linux environment and there are a lot of tools missing, but enough works for me to make it great.

But I noticed recently a regression in tramp-sh-handle-file-local-copy on the recent master of TRAMP.
The "let* statement in the beginning of the function was replaced with and "if-let". The problem for me is that tramp-inline-coding returns nil for me, but instead I just set tramp-copy-size-limit to nil and use pscp or psftp for copying.

But now because of the the "if-let" statement the function fails and I can't open files, I just get an error instead.

Do we really need to even check for remote encoding and local encoding if tramp-copy-size-limit is set to nil and we are going to do and "out of bounds" copy anyways?

Thanks for all your hard work on TRAMP, and sorry for not providing more details at the moment, I'm writing this from my phone.

Best Regards
Kristofer