Re: tramp access to ssh agent

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp access to ssh agent
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 18:24:31 +0200

GUEZ Lionel <guez@lmd.ipsl.fr> writes:

> Hello. Thank you for your answer.

Hi Lionel,

>> I'm not aware that Tramp (or Emacs in general) is fiddling with
>> this. The SSH agent is found by the environment variable
>> SSH_AUTH_SOCK I believe, which is /run/user/1000/keyring/ssh in my
>> local environment (Fedora 16). Can you check that this env variable
>> is set in case it works for you, and it is not set when it doesn't
>> work? You might check the Lisp variable `process-environment', which
>> contains all such variables.
>
> Indeed, when it works :
>
> getenv SSH_AUTH_SOCK
>
> returns:
>
> /run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
>
> and when it does not work, SSH_AUTH_SOCK is not in process-environment.

So I guess you shall check periodically whether it is still set while
you work with Emacs. If it disappears,try to find out what you've done recently.

>> Another difference between Emacs 26 and 27 is, that Tramp saves
>> validated passwords / passphrases. Does Emacs ask you to save the
>> passphrase? Is there an entry in ~/.authinfo.gpg (or whatever you use
>> for auth-sources), which is related to the passphrase?
>
> Emacs never asks me to save the passphrase. I do not have a file
> ~/.authinfo.gpg. I have never used auth-sources.

Tramp uses auth-sources by default. It's initial value is
'("~/.authinfo" "~/.authinfo.gpg" "~/.netrc"), if you have one of these
files they are consulted.