Re: [BUG] Tab completion over tramp in eshell hangs emacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [BUG] Tab completion over tramp in eshell hangs emacs
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 11:40:25 +0100

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Reza,

> I started emacs with "emacs -Q" opened an eshell and changed path to a
> ssh remote (cd /ssh:...) then I typed "tar --warning=no-timestamp -xf
> " and hit tab to autocomplete, but emacs hangs and my only option was
> to kill it to recover.
> Looks like a bug to me, strangely it does work when I only use "tar -xf "?

I could reproduce both use cases, the successful one with "tar -xf ",
and the failing one with "tar --warning=no-timestamp -xf ".

However, Tramp is involved only in the first case, because
file-name-all-completions is called. In the second case, nothing reached
Tramp.

So I guess you shall report this as Emacs bug.