artanis

Re: [Artanis] Foreign Key for Migrations

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: [Artanis] Foreign Key for Migrations
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:46:25 +0800

Hi Jonathan!

Jonathan Schmeling writes:

> In the mean time, what is the difference between the migration and
> models since I have a feeling I don't fully understand. Is it just that
> models will handle creating the tables, now, rather than migrations but
> migrations are still useful for creating dummy/test data in the tables?

Actually, migration and models are sharing the same implemtation
mechanism in the low-level. But there're 2 differences:
1. They're slightly different in syntax, migration doesn't use macros of
Scheme, so you have to add quote-sign "'" explicitly. This is trivial.

2. They're different for the purpose. Migration is a tool to migrate DB
data, or easily handling when you're still designing your tables. You
may change the definition as you wish, and run it arbitrarily. The
tables in migration will not be recognized by Artanis, it's just for
creating/dropping or transferring data.

Models are the mapping to the existing tables after you confirmed your
design. And should be cautiously changed, because I will add
verification mechanism in the future. That is to say, the definition
that you put in model will be recognized by Artanis. If you've defined a
table in model, it will be created if it doesn't exist yet, but if it
exists, Artanis will verify its schema with your definition to make
sure that the table you want.

Best regards.