[AUCTeX-devel] Re: edit-utils/crm.el (completing-read-multiple) in XEmac

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: edit-utils/crm.el (completing-read-multiple) in XEmacs
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:29:12 +0200

On Thu, Oct 27 2005, Ben Wing wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>>Attached is revision 1.5 [2] from Emacs CVS plus the update of FSF
>>address (done in revision 1.8 in Emacs CVS).  The changes from
>>revision 1.6 and 1.7 cannot be applied because XEmacs doesn't have
>>`minibuffer-prompt-end'.
>>
> it looks like this function is in ilisp/completer.el, which is
> something i use and is probably similar to crm.el.
>
> it reads
>
> (unless (fboundp 'minibuffer-prompt-end)
>  (defun minibuffer-prompt-end ()
>    "Return the buffer position of the end of the minibuffer prompt.
> Return (point-min) if current buffer is not a mini-buffer."
>    (point-min)))
>
> this is probably reasonable since the minibuffer-prompt is not part of the
> buffer in XEmacs.

Probably it would make (future) syncing with Emacs more easy if you'd
put `minibuffer-prompt-end' in some basic package or into the core
lisp files (adding a dependency on ilisp probably isn't a good idea).

`minibuffer-prompt-end' is used in the following files in Emacs 22 (CVS):

$ grep -l minibuffer-prompt-end *.el */*.el
complete.el
dabbrev.el
icomplete.el
ido.el
indent.el
iswitchb.el
minibuf-eldef.el
rfn-eshadow.el
simple.el
tmm.el
calc/calc-aent.el
calc/calc.el
emacs-lisp/crm.el
emulation/viper-cmd.el
emulation/viper-util.el
eshell/em-hist.el

As long as it doesn't delay the inclusion of `crm.el', I don't have a
preference whether you pick up revision 1.5 or the current version.

Defining general functions like `minibuffer-prompt-end' in unrelated
packages doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.  I'd prefer the
suggesting from the Elisp manual:

,----[ (info "(elisp)Coding Conventions") ]
|    * If a package needs to define an alias or a new function for
|      compatibility with some other version of Emacs, name it with the
|      package prefix, not with the raw name with which it occurs in the
|      other version.  Here is an example from Gnus, which provides many
|      examples of such compatibility issues.
|
|           (defalias 'gnus-point-at-bol
|             (if (fboundp 'point-at-bol)
|                 'point-at-bol