[AUCTeX-devel] Re: defadvice in tex.el

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: defadvice in tex.el
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:15:58 +0200

* Dan Nicolaescu (2006-04-05) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > * Dan Nicolaescu (2006-04-04) writes:
>   >
>   > > Is the defadvice in tex.el needed?
>   > > AFAIK the custom code is designed to handle situations like the ones
>   > > handled by the defadvice. Am I missing something?
>   >
>   > `hack-one-local-variable' uses `set' which does not care about
>   > `custom-set'.
>
> Does the AUCTeX code set those variables, or it's something that the
> user has to write?

The user.

> If it's something the user adds by hand, then a possible solution is
> to tell the users to use "eval: (TeX-PDF-mode t)", etc.

That's ugly because the user will have to add this to the init file in
order to not being bothered about when opening a file.  In addition I
don't expect too many users reading the manual.

> Another solution could be to call custom-reevaluate-setting (or some
> similar function) from some hook. Would something like that work?

The first suggestion for calling minor mode functions for minor mode
variables in a local variables section used
`hack-local-variables-hook' IIRC.  But there were problems with this
approach.  Unfortunately those are not documented.

> (I looked at a 1 1/2 year old installation of AUCTeX, and the
> defadvice is not there. Is there something new that needs the
> defadvice?)

You should find the answer in the list archives.

--
Ralf