[AUCTeX-devel] RefTeX/AUCTeX load order and activation

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] RefTeX/AUCTeX load order and activation
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:55:34 +0200

Hi,

RefTeX is usually activated by calling `turn-on-reftex' through
`LaTeX-mode-hook'.  This hook is run very late in the initialization
process of LaTeX mode (as it is supposed to).  So usually AUCTeX style
files will be loaded earlier.  Some of these style files rely on
RefTeX functions or variables being present which they are not when
Emacs was just started.  We could move autoloads from reftex-base.el
to reftex.el which would fix this issue, however, RefTeX mode is still
only run after the style files were loaded.  That means certain
variables might get reinitialized.  I haven't checked if such
reinitializations actually occur or cause harm, but the potential
exists.  So in my opinion it would be favorable if RefTeX mode was
activated earlier, i.e. around the time LaTeX mode initialization
starts.  Any comments?

--
Ralf