[AUCTeX-devel] Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Future of the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:20:44 +0200

Since Emacs 22.1 is released and corresponding binaries for Windows are
provided on ftp.gnu.org, the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle for Windows lost its
raison d'ĂȘtre to some extent.  So I thought about discontinuing it.
However, as a user I'd find it really annoying if I had to download and
install Emacs, all required image libraries, and AUCTeX separately.

Providing this stuff as some sort of plug-in which only has to be
unpacked into an existing Emacs installation would really be quite
dangerous if other stuff was already installed into site-lisp or if the
dir file of the info directory was already changed.

So perhaps we should continue to provide the bundle for users mainly
interested in using Emacs as an editor for TeX and related languages.  I
think we should not compete with the binaries provided on ftp.gnu.org,
so I'd continue to offer selected CVS versions.

What do others think?

--
Ralf