[AUCTeX-devel] «global.sty» include, master, subfiles

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] «global.sty» include, master, subfiles
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 15:25:29 +0100

Hello

I have two a bit different problems in my workflow.

Suppose I have say 4 directories, each contains 10 files. Basically all
these 40 files share the same header, usepackages etc.

So I would like to have a global solution so that any change is
reflected in the 40 files.
The first solution which occurred to me was a new style file which I
place in my private TeX directory. The problem is that auctex  does not
know about this private .sty file and will not its usual syntax support.
I don't know how to deal with this situation. Most like I must bake up
my own .el file in the lines Tassilo proposed for bibibeamer/beamer.

Are there  other solutions?

The other problem concerns

Tex master and the include command.

I have for example a master file
main.tex which looks like (leaving all the usepackages out)
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}

\include{hoja1}
\include{hoja2}
\end{document}

In the two slave files I have set the master to main.tex.

In these slave files I can run TeX-command-buffer and only this
file/buffer is compiled. However the resulting pdf/dvi is called
_region_.pdf and this is a big restriction:

    -  when I visit some time later the directory I have now idea
       to which file _region_.pdf corresponds.

    -  when I want to send such pdf I have to rename it which is also
       cumbersome.

That is why I came up with using the latex style: subfiles, the
corresponding files look

\documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage{subfiles}
\begin{document}

\subfile{hoja1.tex}
\subfile{hoja2.tex}

\end{document}
and the slave files for example
\documentclass[main]{subfiles}
\begin{document}

text

\end{document}
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

Then I can run latex via TeX-command-master on the slave, the resulting
pdf is called hoja1.pdf I have a common header file, *but* auctex does
not scan the headers of the master. If set the master file to the
subfile-master file then TeX-command-master will run really on that file
which is not what subfiles is made for.

So in short:

    -  could auctex support subfiles or

    - maybe easier: could TeX-command-buffer generate a file which
      is called filename.pdf/dvi and not _region_.pdf/dvi.

thanks

Uwe Brauer