[AUCTeX-devel] Changing caption insertion within longtable

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Changing caption insertion within longtable
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:45:31 +0100

Hi all,

with the current code in longtable.el, the caption and label are
inserted like this:

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{longtable}

    \begin{document}

    With current code:
    \begin{longtable}{ll}
      \caption{A long table}\\
      \label{tab:longtab}

    \end{longtable}
    \end{document}

Note the `\\ <newline> \label'.  The code works, of course, but it looks
odd to me.  Is there any objection if I apply the patch attached?  Then,
the result will look like this: The \label is inserted in the argument
of \caption and as a bonus, it also get filled.

    \documentclass{article}

    \usepackage{longtable}
    \begin{document}

    With new code:
    \begin{longtable}{ll}
      \caption{A new long table\label{tab:longtab2}}\\

    \end{longtable}

    With new code:
    \begin{longtable}{ll}
      \caption[Longtable]{The longtable package defines a new environment,
      longtable, which has most of the features of the tabular
      environment, but produces tables which may be broken by TeX's
      standard page-breaking algorithm.\label{tab:longtab3}}\\

    \end{longtable}
    \end{document}

The first part of the patch is caused by `whitespace-cleanup'.  Any
comments?

Best, Arash