Re: Onwards to lexical binding (attempt 1)

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Onwards to lexical binding (attempt 1)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:11:32 +0900

Hi Tassilo,

>> I think `preview-region' should bind TeX-current-process-region-p
>> permanently by `setq', not `let', so that TeX-active-master returns
>> intended file name even in process sentinels.

> Indeed, below is a patch which does that.  It works for me as far as I
> have tested.  If more testing doesn't reveal any blocker, I'm slightly
> leaning towards doing that change.  IMHO, it makes the code a bit
> easier to understand.

Oops, by similar reason, `preview-document' should bind
TeX-current-process-region-p to nil. Otherwise C-c C-p C-d just after
region preview doesn't work.

> I noticed some other (unrelated) strange things:

> 1. My preview.el was terribly outdated.  It seems it's not re-generated
> from preview.el.in on every "make" invocation.  I needed to delete it to
> be re-generated...

Indeed. I guess that Makefile is written in such a way...

> 2. The first preview invocation errors out with:
> [1{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]  !name(2.tex)
> !offset(47)  )
> (see the transcript file for additional
> information)</usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmex10.pfb></usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi10.pfb></usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
> Output written on _region_.pdf (1 page, 23275 bytes).
> SyncTeX written on _region_.synctex.gz.
> Transcript written on _region_.log.

> TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Fri Sep 11 09:28:23
> Running `Preview-DviPS' with ``dvips -Pwww _region_.dvi -o
> _region_.prv/tmpLKkFSa/preview.ps''
> Parser: End of Preview snippet 1 unexpected

> Preview-DviPS killed at Fri Sep 11 09:28:23
> LaTeX: End of Preview snippet 1 unexpected
> Trying again, it works and previews are displayed.  That also happens on
> master.

Hmm, strange. While pdflatex produces PDF file, preview-latex invokes
dvips. It doesn't occur for me. Perhaps customization on preview-latex
related options has some inconsistency.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita